Do Tongue Scrapers Really Work?
Tongue scrapers are very effective at removing harmful bacteria and odor-causing food particles from the tongue, leaving you with fresh breath and better overall oral health.
Generally made of plastic or metal with handles or pull tabs, these U-shaped implements are specifically designed to clean the tongue easily and efficiently.
Cleaning Your Tongue is Essential
Even if you diligently brush your teeth and use floss and mouthwash twice per day, you'll still be left with bacteria and food particles on your tongue.
Tongues are covered in little raised bumps called papillae. Though the papillae are essential for feeling textures and experiencing taste, they also collect and trap dead skin cells, food particles, and bacteria that lead to tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath.
Cleaning your tongue is essential to clear away the bacteria, food debris, and dead cells that can accumulate and cause trouble.
Tongue Scrapers are Effective and Easy
While it's convenient to clean your tongue with your toothbrush, it's not always 100% effective. This is because toothbrushes were designed to clean teeth, unlike tongue scrapers which were designed for this purpose.
In fact, one study published in 2004 found that tongue scrapers removed 30% more sulfur compounds than soft-bristled toothbrushes. Another study from 2005 discovered that using it twice per day for seven days significantly reduced harmful bacteria on the tongue.
Benefits of Tongue Scrapers
In addition to being incredibly effective at removing food particles and bacteria, tongue scrapers offer other benefits like:
- Improved Sense of Taste – A clean, bacteria-free tongue allows the taste buds to better distinguish the differences between flavors, from salty to sweet and sour to spicy.
- Fresher Breath – Bacteria on the tongue is the main cause of bad breath. Removing those bacteria with a tongue scraper will help reduce bad breath.
- Improved Tongue Appearance – Debris buildup can give the tongue an unpleasant yellow or white appearance.
- Better Overall Oral Heath – The fewer bacteria you have in your mouth, the lower your risk of oral health problems like plaque, tartar, cavities, and gum disease.
Tips for Using a Tongue Scraper
Using a tongue scraper is relatively simple. In most cases, all you have to do is scrape it along your tongue, rinse, and repeat. However, these tips can help make tongue scraping even more effective:
- Start at the Back of the Tongue – Scrape from the back, forward.
- Be Gentle – You don't need to push down hard.
- Repeat– Go back and scrape again if your tongue still feels dirty.
- Clean the Scraper – Always clean the scraper after use to prevent bacteria buildup.
Terra & Co. Sustainable Oral Care
Tongue scrapers are an effective, easy way to keep your tongue clean and your mouth healthy. Create a natural, sustainable, and effective oral care routine with dental products from Terra & Co.