Do You Brush Your Teeth Before or After Oil Pulling?
Brush your teeth after oil pulling. This way, you will make sure that all the drawn-out bacteria, toxins, and impurities are removed from your mouth. You do not need to brush your teeth before oil pulling as the practice removes bacteria and food, but you can if you want to.
What is Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling is an ancient practice said to be derived from Indian Ayurveda natural healing. It involves swishing oil around the mouth to help remove bacteria, stimulate saliva production, and help clean the teeth and gums. The oil is "pulled" through and around the teeth for up to 20 minutes, then discarded into the trash once it's thin and milky.
What are the Benefits of Oil Pulling?
There are many possible benefits of oil pulling, including:
- Removing Bacteria – The human mouth is full of bacteria, some helpful and some harmful. Oil pulling can help kill and remove the harmful bacteria to help reduce the risk of gum disease and tooth decay.
- Getting Rid of Bad Breath – Most bad breath comes from tongue coating, tooth infection, gum disease, and bacteria buildup-- all things that oil pulling helps combat.
- Preventing Cavities – Cavities are soft spots in the teeth that form because of plaque and bacteria buildup. Oil pulling can decrease the amount of plaque and bacteria on the teeth to prevent cavities from forming.
- Boosting Gum Health – Plaque often leads to inflamed, red, and otherwise irritated gums. Coconut oil, most often used in oil pulling, can reduce inflammation-- soothing irritated gums and keeping them healthy.
- Whitening Teeth – There is some anecdotal evidence that oil pulling helps wipe away stains from teeth's surface.
More Oil Pulling Tips
Besides always brushing after oil pulling, here are some other tips:
- First Thing in the Morning – Though you can oil pull at any time of day, it's best to do it in the morning when your stomach is empty.
- Use Coconut Oil – While you can enjoy most of the same benefits when pulling with other natural oils, coconut oil is best. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties.
- Start with 5 Minutes Per Day – 20 minutes is the goal, but you should work up to it by beginning with 5 minutes of oil pulling per day.
- Don't Swallow – As tempting as it may be, don't swallow the oil when you're done as it's full of bacteria, food, and other impurities.
- Look for Other Natural Ingredients – While pure coconut oil is helpful, you can try this with products containing other natural ingredients. You can use activated charcoal for stain removal, vitamin E oil for inflammation relief, and peppermint oil for fresh breath.
Oil Pulling with Terra & Co.
Terra & Co. makes it easy for you to practice safe, effective, and sustainable natural oil pulling with our Brilliant Black Oil Pulling. Made with coconut oil, activated charcoal, peppermint, and vitamin E, this organic and vegan product cleans, freshens, and whitens your smile. Try it today!